How long does CBD stay in your body?
Cannabidiol, or CBD for short, is just one of the 120+ compounds found in the Cannabis Sativa plant.
Unlike THC, CBD is fully legal in the UK and does not get users high. Nonetheless, many of you have emailed in to ask 'how long does CBD stay in the body?' so we decided to answer your question here!
How does CBD make you feel?
The effects from vaping CBD are far less dramatic than those of alcohol or THC, so don’t expect to lose your inhibitions or explode fits of giggles.
In fact, I don't use CBD not because of how it makes me feel. Instead, I use CBD because of how it makes me not feel. When I vape, I don't feel anxious, the soreness in my neck muscles fade and I don't suffer from insomnia.
However, it is important to remember that at present, the majority of benefits felt from CBD are anecdotal. Medical research is playing catch up!
How long does it take for CBD's effects to kick in?
The time that is taken to feel the effects of CBD largely depends on the method you used to ingest it. We covered this topic in detail here: What are the most efficient ways to enjoy CBD?
Below is the TLDR version:
- Edibles: Typically, you'll start to feel the effects from edibles after 45 minutes but it can take up to 2 hours. Just 20% of CBD is absorbed when you eat it because the majority is filtered out by your liver or destroyed by stomach acid.
- Sublingual - Placing drops underneath your tongue is one of the most effective ways to enjoy CBD. This is because the CBD is able to be absorbed directly into your bloodstream through membranes under the tongue. As such, you should feel the effects in under ten minutes.
- Topical: CBD creams have the worst absorption rate. Just 5% is used by the body. Also, the effects will only be felt at the site where the cream is applied on the body.
- Vaping: Vaping is one of the most efficient ways to enjoy CBD. The lungs offer a direct route to the bloodstream. CBD reaches peak concentrations in your blood within 3 minutes after inhalation, meaning the effects can be felt shortly after use.
How long do the effects of CBD last?
CBD can be stored in the human body for up to a week after it has been ingested. Despite this, the effects will only be present for the first few hours.
Generally, the methods that act fastest lose their effectiveness quickly. The effects of Vaping and sublingual drops stop being felt after just a couple of hours.
If you're looking for prolonged effects, edibles are probably your best bet. The effects of edibles can last up to 5/6 hours. Otherwise, you can just top up your vape every hour or so.
How long does CBD stay in my body?
The answer to this depends on many variables. Furthermore, science has only had an interest in CBD for the last few years so there is not much data to base our answer on. However, we can estimate that it will take between 2-7 days for CBD to longer be detectable in your body.Variables that can affect this include.
- Your weight - Just like THC, CBD loves hiding in our fat cells. Those of us with larger waistlines are likely to absorb and store CBD for longer.
- Diet and Lifestyle - The quicker we burn energy, the faster the CBD will be eliminated from our body. Also, a diet rich in fibre removes fatty compounds out of our body.
- Dosage - Obviously, the larger the dose of CBD, the longer it'll take to fully leave our bodies.
Finally, CBD will be detectable for longer in the bodies of those who vape regularly compared to those who do not.
Based on early data, here are some general guidelines:
- Single-use: up to 3 days
- Moderate use: 3 to 5 days
- Repeated use: up to 10 days and perhaps beyond
Will CBD show up in a drugs test?
We've covered drugs tests here: Can you fail a drugs test vaping CBD E-Liquid?
But we'll cover it briefly below.
Generally, the answer is no - but there is a caveat.
The drugs tests you’re likely to face at work are typically looking for THC (amongst other things) and not CBD.
Our CBD E-Liquid is made using CBD isolate which is guaranteed to have zero THC.
In the UK, it is legal to cell full-spectrum CBD products if they contain less than 0.2% THC. It is possible (but unlikely) that this may trigger a positive result on a drugs test.
Therefore, to be on the safe side, if you vape full-spectrum CBD products it is worth knowing how long THC stays in your body.
- Blood Test - Between 3 and 30 days
- Urine Test - Between 2 and 100 days
- Saliva Test - Between 12 and 24 hours
- Hair Test - Most hair tests will look at the last 90 days.